Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Los Angeles Walking Adventures

For most of my life, I have relied on my own two feet to get me around.  Walking is one of the joys in my life as it has acted as a calming method in times of stress or a simple way to catch up with my mom after a rough week.  Every night after dinner, my mom and I would go on a walk around our neighborhood and talk about any topic that popped into our minds.  Around the holidays, we would watch little trick-or-treaters running by in hopes of getting the most candy or admire the sparkling Christmas lights that lined each house.  These 30 minute walks with my mom are memories that I will cherish forever, but my walking history extends way past these moments. 

From an early age, I have been walking to school, Target (my favorite store), work and my friend’s houses.  Because I lived in a beach community, I was within walking distance to retail locations, the grocery store, the dry cleaners and of course the beach.  There was no need for me to have a car because I could walk anywhere I needed to go.  Of course it took a little bit longer to walk than it would have with a car, but it gave me time to think, take time to appreciate my surroundings by smelling the roses and was great exercise.  It also helped me to develop navigation skills that have been useful now that I drive a car.  Once I got into to private high school and was forced to travel thirty minutes by car or an hour by bus, I finally realized the limitations of walking.  With an inadequate public transit system and long distances to travel, a car is a necessity.  However, now that I am in downtown Los Angeles, I have found myself leaving my car at home and venturing out on walking adventures.   

Would you believe that there is a series of secret stairs that are just waiting to be explored in Echo Park? 

Echo Park Stairways Map provided by Echo Park Historical Society


Back to a time when walking was how everyone got around, when no cars existed, these were the stairs that people used to get up and down the hills.  Now these stairs lie dormant to the occasional passer by, but the majority of them are hidden behind a forest of shrubbery to take you back in time, leading you to some of Echo Park’s historical landmarksWalking tours are available that are probably super fun, but if you’re a girl like me who loves excursions and exploring hidden arenas, then venture off on your own.  Be the tour guide and take some friends up the Baxter stairs of 230 steps that always have everyone huffing and puffing as they have climbed to the top or the stairway located behind Dodger stadium in the hills.  Whichever you choose, you are up for an experience that could lead you any which way.

What are you waiting for?  Find a location and go on a walking adventure with a friend, relative or even by yourself to experience historical Los Angeles for what it really is on your feet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment